Friday, March 23, 2018

Newspapers vs. Magazines

Maybe things are usually hectic under President Trump. Truth be told, they probably are, but I can't be sure. People often chide their fellow citizens for not reading newspapers often enough. Other people say that newspapers stay afloat by peddling nonevents.

I more sympathetic to the second school of thought; I think newspapers pad. Instead of writing one article on the trade tariffs, they write four. Cable news is guilty of the same thing. Hour after hour of shows, all covering the same events, with only slightly different viewpoints.

Why am I ranting about newspapers? Well, I recently took out a trial subscription to the New York Times. I wish I hadn't. Frankly, it sucks away a lot of time from reading more interesting things, books and magazines.

Generally, I find, that I like weekly magazines the most. If I was pressed to name a magazine I truly enjoyed, I'd name The Spectator. I always --  well, almost always -- enjoy reading Taki in High Life. Sometimes he does make you wonder, but I think that's a good think; at least he's being genuine.

David Brooks had a column in the New York Times, talking about how columns used to be the works of individuals, with their idiosyncrasies. Now columnists have become party representatives. If Taki represents any party other than himself -- and maybe Steve Bannon -- I'm not sure what it is. The Same goes for the writers of Low Life and Real Life.

I've been trying out different magazines now for the last month or so. I've yet to find one half as amusing as The Spectator. Columnists that write as individuals make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment