Saturday, March 3, 2018

Taxation without Universal Benefits

Spectator has an interesting article out. You should read it. It claims that 42% of Americans are on government funded health care. I'm willing to believe that. it is 5% than one of my own attempts, but they included other programs that I didn't.

The interesting part is the author's claim that services like health care ought to be provided as a universal benefit. Otherwise the minority of Americans who are taxpayers end up getting taxed for nothing, essentially being robbed. I think that's a decent point, but I don't quite agree with the solution.

If we do go down the path of making health care a universal benefit, we'll end up, I feel, with an NHS of our own, which hasn't been a success. NHS in America would likely be an even quicker failure than in Britain. The NHS right now is hemorrhaging cash on compliance and data collection surrounding the internal market, which basically let contractors enter the system.

I can't imagine such a health care system being created in the US without such a market component in the first place. So any American NHS would be saddled with compliance and data collection to monitor contractors and determine contracts from the very beginning.

Food for thought. Introducing free markets to government programs isn't alway a good idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment